Re: Supra v. 944 Turbo (Porsche internal code 951)

To: "Teamdotnet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supra v. 944 Turbo (Porsche internal code 951)
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:52:50 -0500
That's why most of the modified Supras TTs end up at
the drag strip - huge power relatively easily. The
full-boost rpm quoted below is pretty far off.  Full
boost for the Supra TT is around 4,000 rpm or so. The
*first* turbo is still spooling at 2500 rpm. Most of
the highly modified Supras hit full boost at about
4200-5000 rpm depending on mods.

Of the people I've talked to who've driven both, the
944T supposedly handles better although the Supra may
have more ultimate grip.

Kent Rafferty

> This was on the Porsche list. Interesting. Anybody
got a  third generation
> Supra for sale?
>
> Matt Murray
>
> mattm@optonline.net
>          944Turbo/TurboS   951-modded    '94
SupraTT-stock '94 SupraTT
> (modded)
> HP        217 / 247 crank   325 rwhp       325 crank
415 rear-wheel
> 0-60mph   6.1 / 5.5 sec     5.4 sec        4.6 - 5.1
sec     4.1 - 4.5
> (G-tech)
> 0-125     17 / 15.5         12.7           14.5
11.5
13.4@111mph       11.9@130mph
> <-typo last time
> top-spd   155 / 162mph     175mph@6600rpm  156 -
governed    180mph+
> skidpd    0.86g / 0.91g     0.96g          0.98g
1.15g (G-tech
> continuous-G)
>
> As people have mentioned numerous times, the 951 IS
NOT a dragster. I don't
> go down to Pomona anymore after having to replace
clutches, half-shafts and
> tires all the time. The boost-lag and high peak
causes difficult launches.
> Either the clutch doesn't slip enough and the tires
grip and I get an
> econobox start, or the clutch/tires slip too much and
we make tire puddles.
> Not much in between.
>
> The Supra on the other hand, develops full boost at
2200rpm in stock trim
> and 2500rpm modified. The factory included a Torsen
rear-end and combined
> with a torque curve that peaks at 4K-rpm and is
pretty much flat to 7K-rpm,