Cats and SM

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Cats and SM
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:28:36 -0500
Jay wrote:

> If you want to "encourage" roadgoing legality of vehicle
> emissions systems (I don't buy that supposition, BTW), it would
> be a simple matter to require it in the rules. That's not the
> intent of the rulesmakers (ask Dennis), nor is it my position
> that it should be the intent. The "Vehicle must be legally
> registered for the street" verbiage is the part that contradicts
> everything else and, IMHO, is what should be deleted from the SM
> rules. That's a more restrictive requirement than Stock.

We see the requirement to have plates as encouragement to keep the car
emissions-legal, because you're going to have to put it back in that state
every so often to get your tags (in some states) If you coose to make the
effort to legalize-and-delegalize your setup every year, then no skin off
our nose.

If the problem you see is truly just in the verbiage of the rule, then it
could be rewritten to something that more explictly defines the intent of
the rule.

So something like "vehicle must have current licence plates and
registration papers, legally obtained"

OK, I'll buy that.

I'll run it up the flagpole.

DG