Re: Cooling (short reply this time)

To: autox@autox.team.net, jonathan.rush@sdrc.com
Subject: Re: Cooling (short reply this time)
From: "James A. Crider" <autojim@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:02:38 -0500
Jon Rush asked:

>Is Prestone Long-Life antifreeze a HOAT formulation? It would be a
>reasonably priced replacement for the expensive stuff from the Euro
>manufacturers.

I'm about 98% positive that the Prestone Long-Life (the stuff with the 50K
change interval that you can get at your local parts house) is a
conventional coolant with a bit more "stuff" in it to stave off the effects
of additive depletion a bit longer.  Realistically, you really CAN run
conventional coolant to 50K miles without a problem in a modern cooling
system, but changing it at 3yr/36K miles is a good PM step to take --
similar to changing your oil every 3K miles even though the owner's guide
says you can go 5K or 7.5K or 8K or "whenever the light tells you" like
newer BMWs do.  Preventative Maintenance (PM) is the key to long and
trouble-free service from your cars and trucks, but of course the
automotive enthusiasts on this list knew that already.

Jim Crider
autojim@delphi.com