RE: Coolant? (long response, contains technical neepery)

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: RE: Coolant? (long response, contains technical neepery)
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:03:09 -0600
> On a related topic -- those of us towing with cars, not trucks,
> often find that the limiting factor isn't power or brakes, but
> cooling.
>
> Is there something we can do to modern street cars to increase
> their cooling capacity without spending an arm and a leg and
> screwing up everything?  And given that everything is a tradeoff,
> what would we be trading off?

Water can transfer much more heat than coolant.  More water and less
coolant.

You obviously loose some of the safety margin if you start to overheat since
the boiling point will be lower.

You loose some of the lubrication and additives.

You may need to change the coolant in order to withstand the temperatures in
your area during the winter.