Late night nits

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Late night nits
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:31:05 -0700
     BTW, could someone copy the story and email it to me,
     I cannot access the I-net here.

I'm assuming by 'I-net' you mean internet.  If you didn't have internet access
there, you would not be able to send the message you sent, or receive any
reply someone sent to you.  What you likely meant to say was you don't have
a web browser available.

The internet is the collection of computers, routers, wires and such that
provides the backbone upon which the bits of this message and many many others
travel.  One analogy is the 'information superhighway' upon which digital
information, or traffic, travels to various points around the earth.  Sort of
like, say, Interstate 80 or Interstate 5 or whatever.  The interstate highways
carry various sorts of traffic, like old Dodge station wagons with the Mopar
440, Ford Mavericks, Jaguar sedans and big honking 18 wheelers, such as a
Peterbilt, full of Wal-Mart merchandise.

Like the highways, the internet also carries traffic, but in an electronic
form.  This traffic comes in various forms from various sources, such as this
email, or FTP traffic from ftp.team.net, or telnet sessions from one computer
to another.  Web browsers like Netscape and Internet Excrement are simply more
sources of this digital traffic on the internet, they do not comprise the
the internet.  Saying that web browsers and the internet are the same thing
is a lot like saying that Interstate 80 and a Peterbilt are the same thing.

mjb.