RE: Race Tires Part 2: Something might be wrong...

To: <Mr53CSP@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Race Tires Part 2: Something might be wrong...
From: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:31:54 -0800
No problems.

The steel belts are not truly symmetrical, and when first designed, Kumho
had concerns about running them "backwards".  Had something to do with how
the ends are joined.  So, they designed directional marks into the mold, and
made left and right side tires.  Since then, it has been proven that there
is no durability issue with running them "backwards", so it doesn't matter.

Selling you four lefts saves you money because Tire Rack doesn't have to
track two different parts for each size, and make sure that's what they send
you.  I think Kumho even merged the part numbers...  In the further interest
of saving money, Kumho didn't change their molds, so the mark is still
there.

- Michael McAvoy