Re: prosolo

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: prosolo
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 15:06:13 -0500
Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> I asked why they overheat and he said that they would have to run
> the cooling fan directly off of the battery since there's no
> alternator to power one and they didn't want to do that for fear
> of losing precious battery spark power.  I then asked if it was
> legal for him to run an alternator on a FF in CM.  No response on
> that one yet.

Yes, alternators are legal for Formula Ford 1600.  The only
competitors I know of that used one are Mark and Tina Outrich.

I looked into running one a couple of years back, when I was also
considering going to an electric water pump so that I could keep
the water circulating when the motor is off -- those "cool-down
periods" between runs would be more appropriately called "heat-soak
periods".

My engine builder talked me out of the whole idea, but I find
myself considering it again...

Mark