Re: Pro Solo

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pro Solo
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:09:07 -0500
At 09:44 AM 12/27/00 -0500, Paul Foster wrote:
>I think it is largely an issue of wear and tear on the driveline. Most road
>race vehicles are simply not made for drag racing, particularly since the
>only US class that has standing starts is pro Formula Atlantic and you have
>to replace the clutch every event not to mention the increased wear and tear
>on the gearbox. I'm sure the people who do participate in prepared and mod
>do pay the price with higher maintenance costs.

Maybe in some cases. Not true with my CM FF, fortunately . . . so far.

I have run an average of two or three Pro Solos plus many more traditional
autocrosses per year since 1993. Even won a couple of Challenges. I have
never, ever broken any part (other than one 10/32 bolt in the starter
shaft) at a major autocross. I did break one half shaft once at a local
event due to a "stupid" chief mechanic and driver (me). I have never broken
any part of the drivetrain other than that one OEM British half shaft. Most
of the parts in my FF such as gears, racing clutch, and CV's have years of
use/abuse. This includes MANY Pro Solo and traditional "rev the engine high
and get off the clutch fast to spin the tires" starts. I know at least one
other FF driver with similar experience. The CM cars that break in Pro
Solos also  seem to break in traditional autocrosses, without any Pro
Solo's on the involved parts. Parts breakage probably is influenced by
tolerances in the drivetrain, driving style, gears preferred, types of
drivetrain parts used, "luck", etc. as it is by Pro Solo use.

Your results may vary:-)

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford