Sears and the 3/8" Socket Adaptor Story - My version at least

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sears and the 3/8" Socket Adaptor Story - My version at least
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:22:40 -0500
>From my warped experiences, Matt Murray came closest on this one. Sears will
not sell socket adaptors that can be used in their drills. Why? They had too
many claims from burnt out motors so you have to go somewhere else to buy
the adaptor. That way when you bring back your Craftsman Cordless Drill with
a junked motor they will probably ask what it was used for. If you tell them
you used it to fasten or unfasten nuts they will tell you that is not
covered under their warranty and they do not sell the adaptor for that
reason. At least that's what the department manager told me one day...

Any cordless drill with good torque can be used to remove and replace lug
nuts, but as CHD pointed out it won't have enough torque to properly break
them loose or tighten them. But that's not the tedious part.

My first cordless drill was a Makita 6093DW with only a 9 volt battery, but
it was a real stump puller. I could get 4 or 5 tire changes out of a single
battery. The second ex-wife has it now. The salesman recommended it after I
told him what I was using it for. My second cordless drill is a 12V Makita
6213D that I got at Home Depot without asking anybody anything. It sucks. I
can barely get a single wheel change out of the battery. Does anybody want
to buy it?

If you don't want to tell the salesperson what you are true intentions are,
lie and tell him that you install drywall for a living. After he stops
laughing perhaps he will tell you. If it can fasten 3000 drywall screws on a
single battery it should be able to change your wheels at multiple events
without breaking a sweat.

Paul Foster