Re: Need Ford Probe GT info...

To: "David Shreve" <ls1_1le@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need Ford Probe GT info...
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:27:02 -0600
Hey, I'm a Probe Driver!

There are plenty of websites out there that talk about PGT's.

Of the already mentioned items, plug wires and valve cover gaskets affect
all 2g's (93-97).

Some 93's had a different head design that allowed more carbon knock when
cold (peak hp came at 6k instead of 5.6k too).  93's only had one airbag too
(less weight).  Most 93's have a lower ride height (probably from shot
struts and sagging springs).

Pre Jan-5th 1995 cars had rear calipers that are prone to lock up from
e-brake usage in salty areas.  It would really suck to be driving down the
road and your rotor catch on fire.  Probe owners have tried to get the NHTSA
(is that the acro?) to issue a recall on it.

96-97's supposedly had a softer suspension.  They also require a 6"
extension if a 93-95 catback is to be used.  The draw-tite trailer hitch
also requires modification if you put on a GReddy exhaust, but not so with
the Borla (I have the Borla above my hitch).  96's had weird pre-cats in the
exhaust manifolds (probably more restrictive than other years).  93-95's you
can grab CEL codes with a paperclip in the diagnostic box, so you might want
to run that check to see if any previous CEL's have occurred.  My O2 sensors
were the first thing that went out on my car.

Since its at 57k, be prepared to do the 60k service (changing the timing
belt is a beetch! I have details on my website).  Fuel filter, coolant, oil,
etc is easy.  You can use the PureOne 10193 filter on it (larger capacity,
same as 92 Eclipse filter with same bypass pressures.

I have full maintenance and modifications done to my 95 Probe GT on my
website.  Plus, you have to check out the links to other websites that have
a lot more info than mine.

As far as the benefits/drawbacks in autox, benefits:  225 wide tires on
16x7's, ability to run 245/45's in GS.  Torquey V6.  Decent toe adjustments
in the rear.  Adjustable struts available.  Drawbacks:  limited
camber/caster adjustment (-0.5deg on front, none on rear); inside wheel spin
unless you get an LSD and run DSP; 2nd gear synchros get frazzled out with
high mileage making a slow 1-2 shift.  1st gear synchros are weak making
heel-toe mandatory if you need to do a 2-1 shift.  Hatchback design; 65/35
f/r weight distribution.

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill