SM, AP and superchargers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: SM, AP and superchargers
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 11:53:18 -0800
>From:                  Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
>BTW, if you're looking for a class that will accept almost anything
>(except maybe super chargers), take a look at A Prepared.

I was wondering why superchargers are discouraged so much. In the
prepared classes, people can achieve very high HP (i.e. CP and BP)
without them. In SM, the weight and possibly the suspension of the bigger
cars that aren't allowed to have them are bigger liabilities that another 100-
200 HP from a supercharger won't solve.

I realize some can argue there are better ways to achieve more HP. But
particularly with SM, it is supposed to attract new people, and
superchargers are not uncommon among at least one segment of the SM
target audience (ponycars), yet those cars can't put on superchargers.

So these cars are relegated to EM or some form of open street class that
is less significantly less interesting from a competitive standpoint and
therefore makes autocross less marketable to these audience segments.