Re: Street Mod exclusions, was: What's wrong with this picture?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Mod exclusions, was: What's wrong with this picture?
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:41:21 -0600
I can understand the need to be protective of SM for at least a few
years.  Being involved in the import performance community, I can
easily see (and appreciate) the goal that Dennis, Kent, etc. has in
mind.  Right now the class needs to be "protected" in order to allow
time for the import community to produce competitive cars, and more
importantly, drivers.

As someone already said, Porsches have so many options that most of
them are already "prepped" so to speak.  But the whole import thing is
still developing.  Maybe someday the import guys will have such fast
SM cars that they'll say "bring on the Porsches".  ;-)

The SM rules allow a huge amount of freedom.  IMO, the more freedom
for modification, the less important the name badge.  As a Honda guy
myself, the idea of competing with Supras, M3's, Porsches, etc. at
this high level of modification sounds like fun... just gimme a little
while.  It's going to take time before a bunch of these *fast* Hondas
(or other import sedans) are developed.  As far as "ultimate
potential" is concerned, who's to say?  Yeah, Porsches are fast, but a
certain EP Civic does alright too. ;-) With the freedom allowed by SM,
I'd say times within the realm of the "P" cars should be possible
eventually.

-brad
(gonna have an ITR powered Civic... someday)