RE: Why is the Supra in SM? Simple...

To: "'Mark J. Andy'" <marka@telerama.com>, "'autox'"
Subject: RE: Why is the Supra in SM? Simple...
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:05:49 -0600
> (just for arguments sake)
> The exact same way that a Supra is NOT Sports Car based and is allowed in
> SM.  (in my best Yoda voice) Very subjective these sports cars are.

Eh, I dunno if I believe that.  I was reading a history of the Supra line
a while ago (somewhere online, that I've since forgotten).  The supra
started life as a celica with a bit more zip.  Always had 4 seats (AFAIK),
etc. etc.
=======================
The Supra started off as a package option on the top of the line Celicas.
Remember the early to mid 80's Celica Supra with the spoiler at the top of
the rear hatch?  I always loved those cars and thought they looked great!!
After that generation model the car "split" into FWD Celicas and RWD Supras.
At that point I'd argue that the Supras had "morphed" into a completely
different car and a different intent for that car.  IMO the Supras became
"sports cars" at that point.  Hell, Porsche 911s always had rear seats, of
some sorts, and they too had humble beginnings.

So once again; Very subjective these sports cars are.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T (definitely not a sports car, but it's got Tao)
#69 STS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that, but the really great make you
feel that you, too, can become great."
Mark Twain (1835-1910)