Getting rid of top drivers (was: Getting rid of M3 in F-stock)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting rid of top drivers (was: Getting rid of M3 in F-stock)
From: Guy Schalnat <guy-schalnat@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:34:53 -0500
> The M3 was moved to ESP.  It dominated.  There is no way prove whether
> this is exclusively because of Bob Tunnell's driving skill.  Therefore,
> for the good of the class, it should be moved.

So the idea here is to get rid of all the really good drivers and the cars they
drive, so you can win the championship?

Because that is what you just said.  You can't prove if it is the car or the
driver, so assume it is the driver and kick them out.

If we keep moving all our good drivers, they'll eventually get sick of it and
quit.  Then average drivers can win.

In fact, this is already happening.

Wait a minute.  The leading Trans-Am was 2.632 seconds ahead of the fastest
Mustang/Camaro.  That's significantly more then the 1.066 seconds between the
M3 and the Trans-Am.  The evidence before the court CLEARLY suggests the
Trans-Am is too fast for the Mustang, and BOTH the M3 and the Trans-Am MUST
be moved to BSP IMMEDIATELY.

You can't have it both ways.  Either both move or neither.  See how silly this
is?

And that'll take care of both Bob and Mark.  Then you can win.

I presume the board is using statistically acceptable methods to determine the
cars actual strength, not the laughable methods I've seen proposed here
(statistics tells us to throw out strange results like Bob's and Mark's and
rather look at the rest of the class).  I just wish they would publish them
(but I suspect that, if they did, we'd have people playing games like
sandbagging the second day if they can't win for the "good of <insert your car
here>, obviously the best car in the world").  If they aren't using a good and
consistent method, I'd be willing to add $10 to my Nationals fee next year
to go toward hiring a consultant to find a fair and good way of determining
what cars actually can do what.

I've been told that team.net used to be a good list, and is not currently worth
reading.  I decided to find out for myself.  So I'll be back in a month or so
to see if it changes.

Thank you to those few who have actually tried to have an intelligent
discussion. I appreciate the information.

-Guy