Re: STS at Nationals...tire issue

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS at Nationals...tire issue
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:47:10 -0400
I would still favor a rule that says you can use tires not found on the
exclusion list, but limit the amount of shaving.  And if you are found to
have less than 3/32 tread in impound, you are disqualified...regardless of
how many drivers you have.  That means that if you start with 5/32, and do
an 8 run weekend on concrete, with two drivers, for a total of 16 runs, how
likely is it that your tire will be less than 3/32.  Even if you have an
extra set, the rule could be that you had to finish on the tires you started
a particular heat with, unless it could be shown that the tire was too
dangerous to finish the heat with due to an abnormalatie.  That would be
determined by the event steward.  Or, you could say that if the tires were
defective, tough luck...you can't make that final run. This suggestion is
for street tires only, not found on the exclusion list. Would it be
difficult to police?  We police ourselves now, what would be different?

Phil O.