Re: Insurance Fraud? I don't think so...

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance Fraud? I don't think so...
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:10:06 -0400

>Jim Crider writes:

>><<<What I don't get is why a bunch of Porsche clubbers are so dedicated
>>to the
>>ability to commit insurance fraud and/or warranty fraud.  When you go
>>out
>>on a track, even for "instruction", you pays your money and you takes
>>your
>>chances.  If you have an oops! moment, you should be prepared to open
>>your
>>wallet.

>I agreed with everything you wrote until I came to this jewel. Whether
>you like it or not most insurors cover PCA DE. There is no fraud
>necessary. Just file a claim and if you have collision insurance you are
>covered just as if it had happened on California Hwy. 1. Now club racing
>is another story entirely.

You provided me with an example of exactly what I'm talking about --
claiming an on-track incident as an on-road incident.  If you're honest
about it being on a track, there's no fraud involved, I agree.  At the same
time, I'd expect your insurance company will very likely reconsider its
decision to offer you coverage, be it a PCA DE or the equivalents from
BMWCCA, NCCC, etc.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.  Odds
are that they'll cover it... once.  And then you'll be shopping for a new
insurance company as they drop you like a piece of freshly-cast steel, or
at least raise your rates somewhere to the far side of your mortgage
payment and car payment combined.

>BTW, Caroline Wright mentioned on the wheeltowheel list that she got a
>call from an insuror who was investigating an "accident" between her and
>a Mustang driver last year. Turns out the "accident" happened at an SCCA
>race and boy racer was racing a car he had an outstanding loan on. I
>don't know what happened to him but I bet it wasn't pleasant!

This is precisely what I'm talking about (and later posts hopefully
clarified that it isn't an exclusively PCA thing).  In this case, I'd say
automotive Darwinism is culling another weak mind from the field... the boy
racer must've done a bang-up job of stripping all his numbers, cage, etc.
before making the claim, but then naming the other party... talk about
scoring an own-goal!

Schmuck got what he deserved, I hope.

Jim Crider