Re: GPS and Big Brother Hysteria

To: autox@autox.team.net, jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: GPS and Big Brother Hysteria
From: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:04:00 -0400
Jim:

A few comments.

I know Toyota was "looking" at the boxes from crashed cars.

It was a BMW that rolled. Many of the Porsche guys own up to their track
"excursions". Some do not. The post came from the Porsche list
<www.rennlist.com> I think this is true for many marque clubs
(owning up or not), so I don't think it is manufacturer specific.
Dealerships like to get paid warranty regardless of cause (anybody
have any Neon parts covered lately?)  :^)

Matt Murray
mattm@optonline.net
Mr. Crider expressed the following:
While some manufacturers (GM and Mercedes now, others to follow)
equipping some cars with crash data recorders, these do not have a telemetry

capability -- they have to physically remove the box from the car and plug
it
into the download equipment.  The stated purpose of these recorders is to
gather real-world crash data to make better safety systems for cars and
trucks. . . . .

. . . What I don't get is why a bunch of Porsche clubbers are so dedicated
the ability to commit insurance fraud and/or warranty fraud.  When you go
out
on a track, even for "instruction", you pays your money and you takes your
chances.  If you have an oops! moment, you should be prepared to open you
wallet.

Saddened at the lack of personal responsibility in this world today,

Jim Crider