Re: Roll bars/cages

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roll bars/cages
From: "Mike Garner" <mikegm3@home.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:33:04 -0700
Look at the rules people!

13.2.G.  "Roll bars and roll cages may be added. It is strongly recommended
that they be constructed according to Section 18 of the current GCR. Roll
bars may be welded. Roll cages must be bolted, not welded, into the
automobile and within the driver/passenger compartment. A roll cage has more
than four attachment points to the body or frame, or has bracing both fore
and aft of the main hoop."

Cages are already allowed in both stock and SP, with no design limitations
other than they "must be contained in the driver/passenger compartment" and
that they "must be BOLTED" into the car.   This is not a design issue, nor
does the proposal attempt to force compliance with the GCR (although the GCR
is suggested as a guideline).  The issue is simply whether or not cages can
be welded into a SP car.

That's it.  Those are the limits of cage/bar construction for stock and SP.
Again, the proposal is simply to allow *weld-in cages* in SP.  I do not see
this as a big deal and cannot understand the opposition.   I doubt that
anyone here can prove that welded cages unilaterally give a performance
advantage (in terms of handling) over bolted cages.  It just isn't that
simple.

For the record, I compete in SP but the current rules already work for
me.... "Roll bars may be welded".   That's exactly what I have scheduled to
go into my SP/track car over the winter, and it appears that it is a
specifically allowed design.   This proposal is not a big change folks.

Mike
91 M3, CSP autocrosser/track toy