Coil Over Spring Rates

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coil Over Spring Rates
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:56:50 -0700
My 200SX has a 166# front spring rate (non-stock), factory accurate
number. It is a McPherson Strut (I guess), where the spring is mounted
on top of the strut.

I will be changing to the 2 1/2" coil over springs soon, and am
concerned about keeping control of the proper spring rates.

How would the 166# current rate translate into coil-over terms? Since it
appears that the spring is around the shock and strut that it is a
one-to-one ratio, and a true 166#? Or is there a leverage working there?

The "coil-over guy" said that to get a similar rate I would have to go
to something around 300#!

Huh?

How does this all work/translate? What rate 2 1/2" spring would be an
equivalent (I would then go proportionally heavier of course once I have
a comparison).

Info - Current springs are 12" free length, about .540 coil wire
diameter, with a 5.25" internal coil radius with 4.25 coils.