llegal tire warm ups?? This stuff is getting old

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: llegal tire warm ups?? This stuff is getting old
From: Ajstratton@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 22:22:52 EDT
--part1_4f.1c1f1d6.270fe2fc_boundary

From: Ajstratton@aol.com
Full-name: Ajstratton
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 22:21:27 EDT
To: samandgreg@uswest.net, rallysolo@compuserve.com

Without knowing the full details of the alleged act, and I'm sure there are
at least 2 true stories, I'm gonna step on the ledge here...
   Obviously someone did something to catch the attention of the chair.
Contrary to what appears to be popular belief, Event Chairs, Solo Safety
Stewards and just about everyone else I know involved in the SAFE running of
an event have many better things to do than look for arguments.

-  I have never met a rock embedded in a tire that could not be removed by
hand as well as a "wiggling".  It takes some serious scrubbing(sometimes
pliers) to remove rocks from a cold tire.

- You will not provide any significant heat into a tire with any reasonable
pit behavior.  Race slicks are designed to dissipate heat, not store it.

- My interpretation of the tire warming rule would imply outside heating
while the vehicle is static.  Once the car is moving it falls under the rules
concerning paddock/driving behavior.

- It is nigh unto impossible to foresee, let alone cover specifically at the
driver's meeting, all the crazy things that people may do during the day.  I
have seen brakes practically on fire by folks trying to warm tires with the
rotors.. (Done on public roads, not the event site for those worried about
image we may project)

- If you really think this is an issue write a letter
rallysolo@compuserve.com

- Finally, If you should happen to catch the ire of the event chair consider
carefully the benefits of complying.  I would never hesitate to put someone
on a trailer for any act I thought jeopardized the safety of an event.  And
that's not subject to debate.

This is supposed to be fun.
Alan

--part1_4f.1c1f1d6.270fe2fc_boundary--