Re: How many trophies

To: "Albert E. Cram, M.D." <albert-cram@uiowa.edu>
Subject: Re: How many trophies
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:26:37 -0500
Albert E. Cram, M.D. wrote:

> I just had another thought that might help the banquet dilemma.  As long as
> I'm not getting the jacket for first place you can mail me my trophy or
> I'll pick it up at the end of the banquet.  I don't need to go across the
> stage to feel the sense of accomplishment.  I do think it is nice for
> everyone who doesn't already know them to see the National Champion in
> person, but who remembers what the 11th place guy looked like unless he or
> she was a friend or acquaintance.  Or perhaps bring the top 3 like formula
> one.  I still want the trophy if I earn one under current rules but I don't
> need to clutter up your dessert and coffee to feel the thrill of the
> accomplishment.
> Al Cram
> Old Duffer Racing

My three trophy suggestion aside, I like this idea and had thought of
something similar myself.  Maybe they could simply read off the names of
the 4th through whatever trophy position; that group gets a nice round
of applause, then they bring up the "podium" finishers.  It would
certainly shorten the process a bit.

I also liked someone elses suggestion of a participation plaque for
every competitor.  Just going to Nationals is an accomplishment to be
remembered, and a momento of the occasion would be neat.  I still
believe that only three trophies does not take anything away from the
other finishing positions.  (BTW, I do not belive that top finishers are
"diluted" by the other trophies as has been suggested, and that is not
the motivation behind my idea.)  The trophies end at a somewhat
arbitrary point IMO...why is 13th a "trophy" and 14th not?  Is there
some history behind the formula?  Anyway, 8th place is still 8th place
whether someone says it is a "trophy" or not, and pride in that
accomplishment is not diminished either way.

And Al, I would respect your accomplishment of placing in the top 20
percent whether you got a trophy or not.  (I believe that next year, you
will.)  Not trying to change the world...just kicking around ideas.

PLW