Re: Trophies (was Ladies Classes)

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, "washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>,
Subject: Re: Trophies (was Ladies Classes)
From: "William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:32:28 -0700
Offend me?  Not at all.  Let me put it this way.  I finished 31st out of 68
starters at the '98 Winter Olympics.  Am I proud of this accomplishment?
Damn right!  For many reasons.  Do I feel that I should have been given a
medal for this?  Hell no!  How about if I finished 4th?  No way!  Now lets
say I finished just a few hunderths out of third - would I feel frustrated?
You bet.  The "What ifs" would have gone on for a long time, but I could
never imagine getting a medal for it. (This DID happen to me at the '91
Masters World Champs. Slalom - 4th, .04 sec. out of 3rd - and I'm STILL
saying "what if"!)

Now, I did come away from Nagano w/a diploma and a medel of participation
(which I treasure highly).  (So see Rocky, that guy that who finished 8th in
the finals after going through 3 rounds of prelims DOES get something!) So
maybe this is my solution:  give every competitor @ Topeka something that
commemorates their participation (they do this for marathon races as well)
and leave the medals for the VICTORS.

And as far as "just a bunch of gearheads having fun"?  Agreed, none of us
are going to get rich or famous from this great sport, BUT, we'er talking
about the National Championships of the United States of America.  That
means that the winners can rightfully call themselves the best cone
smashers, or lack thereof, in America for at least the next 365 days!  This
is really a great accomplishment.  And this is out of a base of thousands of
competitors nationwide.  But 17th out of 65? An accomplishment?  You bet.
But on a par (and by giving the same trophy to the person that won as the
person that finished 17th you ARE putting them on the same par) w/the
winner?  At a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?  I just don't get it.

I'll close w/another definition from Webster's.  "Championships", 3:  a
contest held to determine a CHAMPION (my emphsis.)

Bill