Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway? "Backspace"

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway? "Backspace"
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:20:10 -0700
John Lieberman wrote:

> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here (without flames, please, since I
> think this is a legitimate question) but, as I understand it, positive
> offset means moving the tires/wheels farther out from the side of the
> car. That should be achieved by a SMALLER backspace on the rims.  To
> my way of thinking, a 5-inch backspace on an 8-inch rim would hardly
> produce much of a positive offset.  Am I missing something here?!?!?
> 8<{)

John and others,

No, not John wrong here, but perhaps me. I assumed that the person referring to
FWD
cars meant that they needed some inward offset, or "big backspace". I would
hate to
drive a FWD car with major outward offset for long  :-)  (twitch, twitch,
bearings,
bearings).

Don't get hung up on the "offset" thing - that had nothing to do with my point.
These inexpensive, light steel rims come in a choice of offsets/backspacings,
including all they way out. I got those which fit my stock fenders (barely!).

So thanks for clearing that up, as it may have led some astray. I know that
local
Discount Tire folks use the term "positive offset" *both* ways, depending on who
you talk to on a given day  :-).

Personally I try to use only the term "backspace" and that seems to be pretty
clear
to all.

In summary - 7's or 8's = plentiful and reasonable.    7.5's = less of both.

Why?

Thanks,

Scott Meyers