# of classes and participation

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: # of classes and participation
From: "The Christianson's" <chrstson@netins.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 09:10:27 -0500
Roger says...
>You know, Jeff has made me see the light.  If we have enough
>(O+L) 12 car classes, we can all be champions...

Boy I need new math...with only one champion, and 12 in the class, how does
everyone come home a champion?

Last year in EM I think there were 19, this year I think 21 or 22.  I did
not notice a dilution of competition.  Mr. Spencer looked very pleased to
have won, he did not look as though it was a gimme.

The coolest cars in classes like EM and DM are often not the fastest.  DM
had the totally cool Darth Beetle this year. And where else but EM can you
find a Corvair with a blown small block in the back seat. (Now that is a
testosterone producing car)  So why keep pushing classes together and
making more and more cars uncompetitive.  There is enough imagination out
there to fill 100 classes if we could figure out how to tap it.  There
needs to me some balance and thought put into it, but there is no right
answer. It is whatever we want it to be.  Rules are completely arbitrary.

I had a great week in Topeka, fun was had almost every minute.  I as far as
I can tell fun is why we do this silly thing.  What is to be gained with
fewer classes and fewer trophies?  Is your trophy more valuable if you win
in a class of 50 or 60 that contains 10 or 12 really competitive drivers,
and 40 or 50 that aren't that serious but want to be there to have fun. As
opposed to a class of 15 that has 10 really serious competitors and 5 that
are either new and learning or just aren't as serious about this game but
are also having fun.  As far as I can tell, my trophy, 4th place, (my first
one ever and maybe my last) and a buck will get me some coffee.  It also
makes me smile and remember a great week.  I think I must be missing the
point or something.

Have fun
Jeff (must need more power) Christianson
#65EM