Re: BSM/SM2

Subject: Re: BSM/SM2
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:19:18 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Kent Rafferty wrote:
> I wonder how spread out the trophies were by marque in
> BSP, ASP, ESP, or even CSP?  SM was a new class this
> year and many interested national level drivers were
> taking a "wait-and-see" approach to the class, so you
> were left with a core of committed SMers that ran all
> the national events, and took home many of the
> trophies.  I expect that to change next year as SM
> becomes more established. Regardless, the competition
> in SM was always extemely close - especially notable
> given the dissimilar cars that ran.

Yeah, I agree.  To say that since only 4 marques trophying (or whatever
the statement was) means the class doesn't have a "level playing field" is
laughable.  I challenge you to find any other class in Solo that is
significantly "better" in this regard.

Couple that with this year being the first year of the class and that
(totally my guess here) the 4 car types trophying just happened to be the
ones driven by good drivers who spent time building their cars, and I
don't see how you can assume it wasn't a level playing field.

Mark

(who doesn't following the logic that "level playing field" == "any car
can win" anyway.  To me, "level playing field" means that any competitor
stands a chance of winning if they dedicate the time/money that the
rules/spirit of the class intend and drive really well.  It distinctly
_does not_ mean that they can be competitive in whatever car they happen
to own.  A racer should be concerned with being able to get winning
equipment, not with whether or not that winning equipment has a "Ford"
badge on it.  If you can get both good for you, but that shouldn't be a
class goal.  IMHO obviously.)

(IMHO #2, constantly juggling rules around to make it so "any car can win"
ends up screwing the competitors.  Stable rules are what racers (on a
budget or not) need, not some mythical holy grail "fair" rules.)