Re: Was M3 - - now ESP participation

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was M3 - - now ESP participation
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:17:55 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Loren Williams wrote:
> If there is no complaint about the DSM's mixing it up in the top positions,
> I fail to see the gripe with the M3.  The M3 is not dominating, Bob Tunnell
> is dominating.  The other M3's in competition aren't filling all of the
> trophy positions under him.

Only because (IMHO obviously) they cost double what a pony car costs (both
to buy and I suspect to build).  There aren't that many folks that have
that kinda money laying around to pump it into a car for one year.

Hey wait, there went the point!  :-)

Why is it so hard to understand that folks liked ESP _the way it was last
year without the M3_?  Suddenly a whole lotta cars are obsoleted overnight
(and by a car that costs double what theres does) and you wonder why
there's bitching about it?

If your point is that they weren't obsoleted, I'll have to respectfully
disagree with you.  Tunnell _crushed_ everyone he ran against this year
(and would have had more margin had he not earned the bag of sand he got
at the Pro banquet (which, btw, he took with a lot of grace)).  Are you
telling me _no_ other ESP driver is good enough to even make it close or
maybe squeek out a win?  Bull.

And who else are we supposed to be using to compare with here?  AFAIK
Tunnell's car (and maybe Todd Green's?) is the only mostly fully SP
prepared M3 around.  So like it or not, you've got to include Bob in
the comparison mix.

I fully agree the car isn't a CSP car (look at them, hello!) and that it
probably should have been moved.  But it should have been moved to BSP or
maybe ASP, not ESP where it got to dominate old tech (but still fun!)
cars.

Mark