Re: Winged Rollover

To: awhittle@fastrans.net, jemitchell@compuserve.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winged Rollover
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 10:39:41 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/00 7:08:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
awhittle@fastrans.net writes:

<< Jay,
   I own the sidewinder (with a 42lb wing on the roof) A-Mod with arguably
 the most downforce/lb in all of autocross. (at the huge expense of HP) If
 anything, I was the most likely to experience this so-called problem with a
 high huge wing.  Believe me that the roll over that happened was due to too
 narrow track and too high a CG.  It has little to nothing to do with wind on
 the side plates.  That load is most likely in the range of 10 to 30 pounds
 (20lbs wind * 48" end plate height = 960 in-lbs) by comparison to the 1500
 or so lbs of cornering load(1500lbs cornering * 12"cg height = 18000
 in-lbs).  We were pulling higher cornering loads in the right-left setup
 (1.65g) to that corner than we pulled in the upwind section of walls(1.35g).
 The issue is If a car is up on two wheels caused by cornering then the side
 plates could be the LAST straw that broke the camels back not the biggest
 straw.

 Andy Whittle   39/139 a-mod
 St Louis

I still haven't heard who it was that rolled. Anyone have a name????

Mike(Way too slow to roll anything)B.