Re: FRONT (NOT Rear) Shock Access for Lotii

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>, Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: FRONT (NOT Rear) Shock Access for Lotii
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:28:08 -0400
At 05:39 PM 8/17/00 -0700, Scott Meyers wrote:
>So, if MH had drilled some holes for access *before* the shocks poked the
>holes it would be OK?
>
>Say, I think I saw him do just that  :-)

Wearing my "former Lotus owner hat":-)

First of all, according the results for 1999, it was front, not rear,
shocks. These are "A arm" front suspensions and the shocks are the "eyelet
type" with horizontal bolts through the eyelet. i.e. no adjuster from the
top. Since the protest committee findings mention rubber bushing flex as
part of the cause, I suspect these are not the racing shocks with adjusters
below the top eyelet (but I did not see them).

On the Europas I've owned and seen, the clearance between the top of the
eyelet and the bodywork, especially after the bushings compress, is
essentially zero. I'm guessing that the Elans have the same situation. They
do have the same front suspension layout. I suspect that the protestor was
concerned that some illegal repositioning of the suspension was the reason
for the holes. According to the protest committee, that was not the case.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford