Re: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>, <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>,
Subject: Re: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:15:27 -0500
From: George Ryan <quad4fiero@webzone.net>

>if one shows up in a
>Neon in ES on day-one, he will probably be able to beat the competent
>competitor with years of experience in an ES 2.5L Fiero after 2 or three
>events.

I'll take that bet.  You supply the ES 2.5L Fiero in good condition.  I'll
drive it here for a season.  I'll buy the tires.  Then you send your novice
in his Neon.  I'll kick him.  And I am not that good.  A top driver like
Tunnell  (either one of them) will clean his clock without any experience in
the Fiero.

>I advocate a system that uses such criteria as power to weight
>(torque is a factor, as it is also power), wheelbase, tire size, wheel
>track,
>and suspension type (adjustability  would be a factor) dictating who runs
>against whom. A simple math formula could do most of that!!

Write this formula and publish it.  We'll take a look at it.

>When I have completed my proposal, I will write an article to the NA Pylon,
>under the heading "Fighting City Hall" and share it with you (if the
Kelly's
>see
>fit to print it).

I think they will.  Some of the things I have seen indicate they aren't that
picky.  And I consider that a good thing.  Marketplace of ideas and all that
sort of thing.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green