Re: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock

To: mike@benchmarksales.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock
From: "John Gross" <jogross3@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:26:17 PDT
><< And a C4 you would have to shift to 2nd.>>
>not in the later c-4's:
>
>the lt4 (6600 rpm fuel cut-off i think) cars can do 53 mph in 1st - the Lt5
>cars 58-60 (7072 rpm cut-off & depending on tire) - doubt you would need
>2nd
>gear on the mckmy courses - let alone most pro's :-)
>
>95 & 96 ZF transmissions were good for 1-2 mph extra in 1st  - the gearing
>was changed slightly to combat gear whine in the earlier boxes - if you ask
>me ask me it was never a problem - but i'll take the extra mph
>
>just a little silly trivia

It's true these cars can go fast in 1st, but also keep in mind that the
LT4's and the ZR1's can't turn compared to the L98 cars (at least in stock
form)  This is why the BSP combo to have is an early chassis (read L98
chassis) w/ an LT4.  You get a car that turns with a motor that pulls to
high rpms.  The best reasoning to keeping all C4's in the same stock class
is that no single engine/chassis combo has it all.  They all trade off
something.  The C4's with the best motors had the worst chassis, and the
best chassis had the lowest HP motors (but highest torque behind the LT5's
mark)

John Gross
1987 Corvette Z51 - BSP 7