Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.
From: "William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:08:35 -0700
> Try watching a downhill ski race from the side of the mountain, and
> see how visually gripping it is. Don't forget your parka and mukluks.
>
> DG

Sorry, just had to chime in here:  it doesn't make sense to compare ski
racing to SOLO, on many levels - apples & oranges, BUT as far as the above
statement goes, keep in mind that in Europe and Japan (again, USA v. Europe
and Asia - apples & oranges) 10k-50k people 'watch from the side of the
mountain' (often w/the help of generous amounts of schnapps, beer and saki)
at multiple events every year, and I'm not talking just the Winter Olympics.
As a matter of fact, they will often climb up treachously steep and icy
slopes all the way to the top of a 2 plus mile course just to see what goes
on at the start (the equivelent of the pit area.)

I guess the only thing to be learned here is that there is ALWAYS an
audience for something IF it captures their imagination.

>From somebody that was there not as a spectator, but as a competitor.

Bill Schenker
'99 Miata
CalClub csp #36