Re: Yet another sport on the verge of elitism...

To: "Mark Radelow" <radelow@hotmail.com>, ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yet another sport on the verge of elitism...
From: Eric Moon <info@scca-susq.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:57:22 -0400
At 05:23 PM 6/21/00 +0000, Mark Radelow wrote:
>I am not a big autox'r, in fact I have only done it a few times (prepping my
>car for road racing).  But one of the beauties of Solo II is that it is
>cheap, fun, and is open to everyone.  If you are going to limit who can join
>what events and in what order they may join AND increase the prices, you go
>away from what this sport is all about.  Call me crazy but this is
>grassroots motorsports.  None of us are professionals and simply don't have
>the right to say who can and can't race.  It seems humorous to me that the
>ones that want to limit who can race would be the ones who benefit the most.
>  Typical.  If events get too crowded don't be angry that it is crowded, BE
>GLAD that there are a large group of people showing interest.  That's just
>my take on it.
>
>Mark
>97 Jetta VR6
>91 GTI 16V

I agree that there should not be elitism, but the need to cap entries at a
certain point is definitely real.
Running 219 competitors in a 2-day ProSolo in the kind of time we did at
Harrisburg is not an everyday feat.
By "not a big autocrosser", do you mean you have not competed in a national
Tour or ProSolo event?  those are the topics at hand.  I wouldn't worry
about entry limits or selective admission at the Regional/Local levels, so
none of this will affect you.

Eric Moon
Co-Driver - Kosher Rice Racing G Stock '00 Acura Type R
'92 Miata - Taking a Year off for R&D
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com
pager:         7173297074@mobile.att.net
Appalachian Sports Car Club   www.scca-susq.com