Cordless Impact Wrenches redux..

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Cordless Impact Wrenches redux..
From: Brian Weikert <gunther@magetower.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:22:15 -0600
I'd like to say thanks to everyone who sent me advice and information about
cordless impact wrenches (both on and off the list).  The information and
advice was very valuable, and I ended up making the decision to spend more
money now, in hopes of having no regrets later, and got a Snap-On wrench
which I'll be trying out tomorrow at an event in Great Falls, MT.

The Snap-On rep says the specifications for the Snap-On wrench are only
about 80 ft/lbs, but about 1 sec. of impact removed a lug-nut from my
Mustang which was torqued to 95 ft/lbs with a torque wrench.  About 2 secs
of impact tightened the same lug to approx. 90 ft/lbs, and was less than
1/4 turn from 95 ft/lbs according to the torque wrench.

The other nice thing about dealing with Snap-On.  He says to use it for the
weekend, and if I don't like how it works, bring it back for a full
refund..  not a bad deal from a customer service perspective.

The down-side of the Snap-On was price..  not quite $400 (although he threw
in the impact socket for free.. wee!).

Thanks again to all who provided their input on this subject.

Brian Weikert
'99 ESP Mustang Cobra