Re: Weird Question - Heart Stress and Autocross

To: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Weird Question - Heart Stress and Autocross
From: "Lisa E." <clash_girl@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 06:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Dave, and that's one of the key concerns.  If
the Docs say it won't affect his ability to do it,
great.  Conversely (and more importantly to me), I
would not want the competiton to affect his health
adversely.. :)

Now you've got me wondering about "a whole nuther"
mental picture.... :)  I can't see a normal pregnancy
affecting a female's ability to compete provided she
is comfortable and able to steer normally and her
doctor has no problem with it -- I kinda think I'd
look funny in a helmet and maternity clothes,
though...what is the "most pregnant" (months-wise)
that you've ever seen a female autocrosser??

--- David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com> wrote:
> Section 4.9 of the SCCA solo rulebook states:
> "Any competitor with a known medical condition
> (including pregnancy)
> which could affect their ability to compete, may do
> so only with the
> concurrence of their personal physician"
>
> Unfortunately, your dad's personal physician may
> have no idea what kinds
> of stress autoxing may exert but if there are any
> MDs on the list maybe
> they could help out.
>
> Dave Yeung
> Houston Region
>

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:21:01 -0400 "Lisa E."
> <clash_girl@yahoo.com>
> writes:
> >Wondering if any of you have any experience with
> post-heart problem
> >autocrossing.
> >
> >My dad recently suffered a mild heart attack (he
> didn't even know it
> >happened at the time) and is now undergoing tests,
> therapy,
> >medications,
> >etc. to see if his blockage (1 artery) can be
> alleviated without
> >invasive
> >surgery.
> >
> >Dad is a car nut, and used to drag race at Pomona
> back "in the day" --
> >I was
> >looking forward to bringing him with me to an
> autocross, because he's
> >never
> >seen one and I know he would love to see all the
> cars and associated
> >fun.  I
> >was hoping to have him ride along with me and even
> drive my car in an
> >event
> >if he wanted.
> >
> >Obviously, he won't be able to do this in the
> *immediate* future, but
> >I was
> >wondering if you know (or are) someone who has had
> similar experience
> >and
> >been allowed to autocross afterward?  I would never
>  encourage him to
> >do
> >something unsafe, and I know that autocrossing can
> really get your
> >adrenaline going...
> >
> >Do you think he'll just have to be a spectator?
> >
> >Disclaimer:  I know you guys are not MD's (well,
> some of you may be)
> >and I'm
> >not considering any replies as actual medical
> advice, etc.  Just
> >curious if
> >anyone's done it -- I know he'd love to do it
> someday if it were
> >safe.
> >
> >Too much time to wonder about stuff,
> >Lisa

> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

=====
Lisa & Spike 95R BB
Louisville, KY  USA
Team Teams (In NO particular order!) Frou-Vroom, Voodoo, CRI Air Horns, Dlr
Alt, M Road, Finishline, Moss, Borbet, RE-71s Woohoo!
SCCA, BMC, PMC, ABCDEFG  :P    And My Miata Guy Rocks!
See Spike @ http://www.geocities.com/clash_girl/Spike_Scrapbook.html

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com