Re: The great white north/Ahh

To: "Mike Bultemeier" <hottvr@birch.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: The great white north/Ahh
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 23:48:06 -0500
From: Mike Bultemeier <hottvr@birch.net>

>Can anyone tell me about crossing into Canada towing a racecar?

You going to Gimili (past Winnepeg) for the Canadian nationals?

>Is it a
>problem?
>I already know that I can't take firearms(What kind of a vacation is
>that??)
>What kind of paperwork will I need? Any info would be appreciated.

My info is probably useless since it is nearly 30 years old.  Read on for
dubious entertainment value.

First, have something that shows you are an American citizen.  A driver's
license won't do it.  Peter Jennings probably has an American driver's
license.  The Canadian Consulate guy in Minneapolis had a Minnesota driver's
license.  In the old days, my draft card worked for that.  Baptismal
records, birth certificate, passport, whatever.

OH, speaking of "passports", leave your radar detector at home.  If you are
going to Ontario, the OPP has a habit of finding it in your car and asking
if it is yours.  If you say yes, you get arrested.  If you say no, he
figures you won't mind if he puts it on the road in front of your tires.

In Manitoba, they don't have a provincial police force, so they hire the
mounties.  Imagine the FBI doing traffic patrol.  Different strokes for
different countries.  Dunno how Manitoba feels about radar detectors.

Have the title for the car you are driving, or some paperwork that shows the
title exists.  Oddly enough, I never had title or plates for my race cars,
and neither Canada or the USA seemed to care.

Anyway, get newer information from someone else.  And if you are passing
through the Twin Cities, don't be a stranger.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/