Re: RX-7 Flywheel/Clutch Question

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: RX-7 Flywheel/Clutch Question
From: Steven Fooshee <fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:07:49 -0500
Scott Meyers wrote:

> I will be changing the clutch on an 87 RX-7 this weekend - I hope.
>
> I tried once before and was stymied by the flywheel nut - I could not
> get it loose. At that time I had no air tools. I gave up and just put
> the d_mn clutch on the flywheel 'as was'.
>
> Not this time I vow.......I want to have the flywheel turned.
>
> I have a 12 point 2 1/8" socket and a 250ft/lb Sears air wrench. Also a
> 125psi/5.5gallon air compressor tank.
>
> I see the spec for this nut is listed at 290-300 ft/lbs.
>
> Will the air wrench I have do the job, or will I need to get the larger
> (up to 400 ft/lb) one to do it? Will the 12 point socket do OK (I could
> not find a six point)?
>
> Any other tips or pointers to watch out for or use for this "adventure"?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Scott Meyers
>
> Oh - for any of my Phoenix friends who might be on Team.net.......
>
> "What RX-7?" I only have a 200SX........  Must be a friends...........
> ;-)

        The impact wrench should do the job, just be patient and let it do its
thing. When it comes time to pull it off, a BF rubber mallet will help
immensely. Just whap the pooh out of it while prying rather gently on
the wheel. If you're changing the pilot bearing it's _MUCH_ easier with
a proper puller, the PoopBoy's or Autozone units just aren't up to the
task (and usually in crappy condition.)
        When you put the wheel nut back on, use locktite. I don't think you'll
hurt the nut with a 12 point socket, at least not until it cracks.

--
---

MCMLXIX Sprite: She needs a man with a slow hand....
1990 GS 500-E: She needs a lover with an easy touch....
1987 RX-7 TII: She needs somebody who... well, nevermind....
"I don't like white people; they make too many generalizations."

-