Re: F125 - It's not just about safety

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: F125 - It's not just about safety
From: "Rich" <mudfly@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 01:06:35 -0400
Unless I'm misinformed you have had one flip in 4 years? that's a pretty
good record .
SCCA's safety rules for karts are the most sensible of any karting
organization out there. no one else mandates a 25' safety margin and few do
as thorough of a tech inspection as SCCA. the kart sanctioning bodies could
learn a few lessons from SCCA
The reason F125 hasn't taken off is no one outside of SCCA knows about it
and for that matter not many even  know that SCCA has autocross. Judging
from some of the comments on this forum it seems some folks want to keep it
that way, sorta the "big Fish in the small pond" type of thinking?
If you read rule appendix H.III.A , you can run adult clutch karts up to
125cc( assuming your region allows it) you just can't run them in the Tour
or National. Again it is the issue of how the karts have not been promoted
outside of SCCA . So yes even us older Walter Mittys can play in the parking
lot for under $2000.
  I have a kid in FJ that gave up this  season of oval racing (after two
consecutive track championships) to try something more challenging. So far
the experience has been excellent, safety is beyond my expectations and
everyone we have met has been very friendly.
  Since this list seems to be largely subscribed to by those who participate
in the Tours and Topeka I can only hope we find the same friendliness and
comradarie at the Tour

rick