STU Proposal Status Update

To: autox@autox.team.net, werace4u@aol.com
Subject: STU Proposal Status Update
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:36:28 -0400
Changes to go into the proposal (http://autocross.dsm.org/stu.html):

1. Displacement limit: unchanged as per Proposal A. Reasons being:
    - It got more votes
    - Nobody signed up to champion SGTU, required to support the people who
would have been cut from STU had we gone with Proposal B.

In fact, nobody showed any interest at all in SGTU, SSU, or SEU. No skin off my
nose, no sense in trying to create classes nobody wants, logically consistant or
not. :)

If STU does well, we may need to spit it into STU-big and STU-small at some
point in the future, but not now. We'll trade initial class inclusiveness for
on-paper "fairness" at this stage of the game.

2. Adopt engine swap wording from the ProRally rulebook
   - It accomplishes what we want
   - It has a history that can be used as precident as to what is/is not allowed
   - It's still fairly liberal, allowing on the order of 90% of the swaps that
are actually taking place.

I don't have the exact wording in front of me, but it's something like "engine
swaps are limited to the manufacturer(s) of engines available from the factory
in that product line" so a Talon (which could come with a Mitsubishi motor or a
Chrysler motor from the factory) could swap in any Mistu or Chrysler motor
(subject to the displacement limit, natch) but could not swap in a Mercedes
motor, as no Talon was ever offered with a Mercedes powerplant.

3. Change notes header from "Dennis' Notes" to "Proposal Team's Notes" - this is
a group effort, not just me.

4. Spelcheque

5. Add names of all contributors in an Appendix

All these changes will go onto the website version tonight, and I'll submit the
finished proposal to Denver tomorrow morning.

A big thank-you to all the people who contributed to this effort. The finished
product is leaps and bounds better that anything I could have come up with
unassisted.

DG