Fw: STU feedback [long]

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: STU feedback [long]
From: "Todd Lenser" <tdlenser@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:29:37 -0400
This originally bounced, so I'm trying to cut it down to only the parts that
haven't alredy been hashed over:

Dennis,

Don't limit it to 4 seats, let the MR2's join.  No worry of class killers,
because the mods will eventually equalize everything.

[something about stock suspension pickup points]
Why do we need this restriction?  I could make a case that some common &
cheap types of camber/caster adjustment (e.g. Ingalls 3575 camber adjust
bolt) violate this rule.

>   a)   The block must ..mount to the chassis... using the Stock mounting
points

What about stroker motors?  How common are they?  Would it disqualify too
much of the target market?  At least among DSM's, I can see these becoming
somewhat popular.

>   [I'm considering banning ported heads. Comments? -DG]

Need to allow head swaps (I'm sure some years of Honda's and Toy's flow
better than others.  porting is relatively easy and is cheap to do.  Plus,
it won't make a huge difference compared to turbos.

>   c)   Superchargers and turbochargers are open,

What about water to air intercoolers?  SP and CP ban them, but I bet there
are a lot of dragracers that use them.  Maybe limit them to only
water/antifreeze/wetting agents and H2O ice (no dry ice) to keep it
relatively simple and limit track mess if someone goofs.  As a bonus, water
to air is easier to fit to many cars (M3) than a big front mount air-air.

If M3's are allowed with a 3.2 L limit, would 300ZX 2+2's become a class
killer?

>bottle must be removed
I second the motion to prohibit compressed gas bottles at the site.  It
could cause insurance problems for everyone if there is just one accident.

>   e)  Fuel is restricted to no more than 94 pump octane
Unenforceable?  Any need to prohibit changing of gas at sites for safety
reasons?

I really like the STU proposals.  It eliminates bickering of turbo vs. V8 in
the same class, and IRS vs. live axle.

This would provide some really good rivalries.  The DSM-Honda rivalry is at
least as good as the Ford-Chevy rivalry.  Add Toyota, BMW Nissan, Subaru,
VW, Audi and things really get interesting.

This would be the autox equivalent of a heads up class in drag racing.
Since much of the target audience is used to that, it would be a natural
match.  It is important to keep this class targeted at daily driver
street-legal cars, a "street mod" class if you will.  Such vehicles (and
their wannabe pilots) have no constructive outlet in SCCA, which leads to
canyon running, street racing, and other marginal activites.
The target group is fascinated by high-tech, often by interest and
occupation, and so usually has the means to allow a relatively expensive
class.  Conversely, the typical owners are often young and don't have the
means or shop space to create purpose built mod race cars.  Hence the
popularity of the built it as you go, never open the block,
turbo/super-charged daily driver.

-Todd Lenser, 250-300? hp '95 Talon AWD, RTU #17 at DSM shootout autox