Can my Celica be fast?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Can my Celica be fast?
From: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:24:05 -0500 (CDT)
Okay, here's the deal.  I am currently in the process of learning to drive
my '93 RX-7 and am having a lot of fun with it.  But the mod bug is biting
hard, and I really want to keep the RX-7 stock.

So I've been semi-seriously looking at first gen RX-7's and other assorted
old sports cars for an autocross (and possible road racing) project car.

Meanwhile, we're looking at doing some general car shuffling, so I've been
spending some time reconditioning my daily driver, a 1988 Celica ST, for
sale or trade.

Now as soon as you get done laughing, read on for my question ;-)

Seriously, does anyone think there is any hope for my beat up old Toyota?

I already know my way around it, it's clean, the engine's strong, and,
best of all, it's already sitting in the driveway just begging me to spend
some money on it!

Any thoughts?  Any resources for old FWD Celica performance tips?  My
initial guess would be that there might be some (expensive) potential in
ST.  Is it silly to even think that it might be able to run with DSP or
EP?

Thanks!
Steven