Re: under/oversteer management w/ Hoosier R3S03 tires

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: under/oversteer management w/ Hoosier R3S03 tires
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:12:23 -0500

"D. Barry Stubbs" wrote:

> Would reducing the rear
> pressure reduce the lateral traction, and vice versa?  Or am I doing the
> correct thing by leaving the pressures way up?

I'm merely a 4th year novice myself, but I think of it this way:

Every tire in a given circumstance has an optimum pressure at which it
will grip at its full potential.  Say you've got these tires on the rear
of your car and they are adjusted to 40 psi and this pressure gives you
their maximum grip.  Now, from 40 psi, either raising OR lowering the
pressure will reduce the grip.  Which you should do depends on the tire,
the vehicle, your driving style, the phase of the moon and the direction
of the wind (not necessarily in that order).

In your case, since your tire appears to be "crowning", I'd say lower
the pressure to the point of optimum grip and then lower it a bit more
to reduce the grip.  But definitely get some input from the Hoosier
Gurus first.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca