Re: Wheel application guide?

To: ken.baker@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Wheel application guide?
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
Ken,

Here is a copy of something I posted in November on
the subject.  I haven't found a good single source of
wheel info on the Web, though Hollander has a web site
where you can buy their interchange manuals.

-------------
If you have to go looking in junkyards for wheels,
here's how I go about it:

First, go to your local salvage yard or Hubcap Annie
and ask to see their Hollander wheel catalog.  This is
the book they use to identify individual OEM wheels
when looking for replacements for crash repair etc.
It cross references wheels by size and bolt pattern as
well as make and model, which is useful in identifying
candidates.

Once you've got a list there, flip through the wheel
catalogs at your tire dealer until you find one that
lists backspacing for different car models (I think
American Racing lists this in their catalog).  Then
you can narrow the list down to one which matches your
car.

I did this a couple of years ago for my Miata and
winnowed the list for 15x6's down to the Mazda MX-3 GS
and VW Corrado (?!)  Fortunately, I got a tip that a
Mazda breakers in Houston had a set of forged BBS
15x6's from a wrecked '95 Miata that I pounced on
(thanks again Jim Hedderick!)  11.5 lbs per wheel is
good enough for me.  I should probably check them for
cracks after 2 years though...anyone know a good
industrial X-ray company in Texas?

Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX

PS  be glad you don't have a Fiat...tried to find a
98mm bolt pattern lately?  :-P