Where are the rice rockets?

To: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Where are the rice rockets?
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:09:18 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: richard nichols <rnichol1@san.rr.com>

> So -- where *are* they?

They *are* out there -- in small numbers.  Part of it, I think, is that
autocrosses are still hard to find for the uninitiated.  I've fielded about
a half dozen "where can I find these events" questions just off the Prelude
board I'm a member of.  Two were near me in D.C. (they're enthusiastically
saving for R tires now), and one was in the SF Bay area -- places where you
can find an event at least every other week without trying hard.  I can find
the number for the Maryland International Raceway (a nearby drag strip)
in the phone book -- but none for the local SCCA region or any other local
sports car club.
Local speed shops are pasted with flyers for drag events -- can't remember
the last time I saw a flyer for an autocross.  We are truely the secret
motorsport.

On the other hand, the SCCA estimates there are some 50,000-plus
autocrossers out there.  Events here, which are capped at 120-150 cars, are
full within 48 hours of pre-registration opening up and have a waiting list.
Some regions are seeing 200-car events, and the Nationals see more drivers
every year.  Philosophically, I'm in favor of expanding our "market," but I
understand there's not lots of pressure in many localities to do so.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr