re: Anyone Autocrossing 99' Miata w/6 spd?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Anyone Autocrossing 99' Miata w/6 spd?
From: edj@austin.ibm.com (Eric Jones)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:07:28 -0500
Since I didn't see anybody else respond....

Mark Jones sed:
}Is anyone competing or know of anyone competing in B-stock with the 99'10th
}anniversary edition Miata with any success?  This model is unique in that it
}is the only Miata with a close ratio 6spd transmision (first five gears
}under 1:1), and also has all the suspension peices as the Sport model.  Is
}the 6spd an aid or hinderance on the autocross course?

I've run one in a couple of events and the answer to your question
is: "it's course dependent".

You get better acceleration in 2nd gear in the AE but you also run out
of gear at about 50-51 mph. In the 5spd '99, the top of 2nd gear is
around 55-56 mph. So for a faster course (eg. '98 Nationals North course)
you would need to shift to 3rd. For a slower course (eg. '98 Nationals
South course) you probably wouldn't need to shift.

My opinion is that it would be an advantage on courses where you don't
need 3rd gear. If you do need 3rd in an AE, better learn how to downshift
while threshold braking. :)

}In a 5spd Miata it
}seems like you use 2nd and 3rd mostly, in the 6spd I think one would be
}sifting more frequently between 2nd and 4th - alot more time sifting but
}maybe more often have a correct ratio.

4th? I don't think so. You'll still spend most of your time in 2nd gear.
Any course that a Miata needs 4th gear on ain't a Solo II course.

eric
TLS#93
"normally drives a CS MR2, slowly"