plug gaps and wires

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: plug gaps and wires
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:45:03 -0700
Howdy all from the moist midwest.

Here's one for the folks out there who know more than me. ;^)

The manufacturer's spec for my Neons Champion RC9YC spark plugs is .035".
What happens if I open the gap up to .040"?  With modern electronic, high
output ignition systems will it help or hinder my Neons engine in the quest
for a little more power?  The plugs run extremely clean now at the spec'ed
.035" gap but I remembered an old hot rodder's trick of opening up the gap a
bit to give a slightly larger spark to more quickly and efficiently burn the
atomized fuel.

I just read the Grassroots Motorsports article where they got a consistant,
across the board 3-4 hp in their test DOHC Neon just by installing
aftermarket plug wires instead of the factory wires.  And who sells a good
aftermarket set of plug wires for the DOHC Neons?  Magnacore, Accel or
Moroso?  How much?  And since I like to support our supporters, which
retailers are supporters or autocrossing and/or Neons in general and sell
these wires.

Thanks in advance.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."