Re: Air conditioning? (no auo-x content)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air conditioning? (no auo-x content)
From: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:47:29 -0500
WARNING, the newer R134a coolant is incompatible with the ester based
lubricant used with the R12 freon.  when updating older systems with new
R134a, the old oil needs to be COMPLETELY drained, flushed and replaced
with PAG oil.  If not evacuated of the old lubircant, the R134a will
cause the ester oil to coagulate and lead to an eventual compressor
failure. Also, typically all the seals should be replaced as well as the
dryer/receiver.  All this along with the normal charging procedures of
vacuuming down the system to remove all moisture before charging will
provide for a good retrofit.  however, keep in mind that the R134a has a
lower heat transfer capacity than R12 which means an older system
retrofitted will have less cooling capacity than it did with R12.

Dave Yeung
Houston Region (where even MOD cars have A/C)