AP

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: AP
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:57:12 EDT
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:54:41 EDT
Subject: Re: The REAL screwing  (AP)

George Emery writes:

>If we look at 1998 Nationals results, the only 427 Cobra there was 2 sec
>per day behind the leader... Bruce Cambern, the driver, hadn't competed
>at Nationals since 1985 when he won BM.  I've a good feeling that no
>corners were cut in building his car and he's got acceptable credentials
>as a driver, so it's likely that his 427 Cobra is similar in power/weight to
>the Elan.  I sincerely doubt that the Cobra is making twice the bhp/lb that
>the Elan is making, which is what your estimate of 425 HP indicates--if
i>t did, you'd see results more like AP vs. BM in favor of the Cobra!

Sorry to Rain on your parade, but your assumptions regarding Bruce's Cobra
are quite incorrect.  He brought the car out of mothballs just to have some
fun.
I believe that the Topeka was the second event for both car and driver in over
10 years!  I watched it run up at Wurtsmith AFB the month before... based on
the obviously imperfect handling characteristics it displayed for Bruce and a
co-driver, it was no where near properly set up.  BTW, he bought the car new!
No, it is not a kit-car.

All that said, I do believe that if Bruce were to seriously prep and compete
in
the car, he'd get it up to/near the top of the heap.  Talent like his doesn't
go
away easily.  How many years has it been since a BM set FTD at the nationals?

Since '85?  Hmmm.....

Alan Sheidler