Re: tire storage

Subject: Re: tire storage
From: Dale Botkin <dale@botkin.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:32:27 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Jim Wilson wrote:

> The reason why you are ostensibly not supposed to store them near electric
> motors is that electric motors supposedly generate ozone which will break
> down the rubber - dont know whether it is true or not - I never tried
> storing my tires near an electric motor.

Yes, they do.  Anything that produces electrical arcing (welder, power
tools, compressor, some air purifiers, etc) will produce ozone, which is a
Bad Thing(tm) for tires and rubber in general.  And I store my tires flat.
Storing them on the tread is probably OK if they're inflated, but if
there's no air in them they might be more prone to getting out of shape...
though it probably really doesn't matter.

Dale
---
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov