RE: hypothetical ?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: hypothetical ?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:19:09 -0500
> Say I was at a Divisional event and through some bonehead stunt managed
> to DNF all of the day's runs.  Let's say I kept DNFing at the exact same
> spot on the course each time BUT, nobody told me as I came off the
> course or in the grid area while waiting for my next run.

It would be nice, but is it the duty of anyone in the grid?

> After I pass the finish lights I come to a stop in the shut-down lane
> and read the chalk board that has my time hand written on it by a worker
> after each run.  There's no mention of the DNF over the P.A. system or
> on the chalk board with my raw time so I assume that I navigated the
> course correctly and that I saw a valid time for my run.

Are either of them the official time with all penalties added?
At our local events we do not have an announcer and the times are displayed
on an electronic board directly from the timing computer.  Raw time, no
penalties listed.

> After unknowingly DNFing all of my runs, as the car is sitting in the
> grid in "impound" waiting to be released, I go to look at the official
> score board and see an entire row of DNFs instead of run times next to
> my name.

Is that the first time "you" are allowed to see the official time?

> What's a guy to do?  Isn't there any "help" offered to racers by the
> folks with the radios, the announcer and in the T&S trailer any more?  I
> thought this was supposed to be a hobby and a friendly sport.

They may not have known that "you" didn't know.