Re: What do you think of Kumho tires?

To: cashmo@execpc.com
Subject: Re: What do you think of Kumho tires?
From: "Eric W. Clements" <ewc4@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 20:05:34 -0400
>FWIW, in the 2 yrs I've been going to some of the bigger events I've
>never seen a Kumho truck and only one BFG truck (this doesn't include
>Nationals).

How'd you miss the Kumho truck in Meridian, MS?  It was parked right
across from us, right at the Saturday finish, Sunday start.

>On another note, I've been getting a lot of different answers to the
>following question, so I may as well ask it here.  I know the R & L
>on the Kumho's doesn't matter anymore, but can you flip the V700 over on
>the rim (inside facing out) once the outer tread has worn down?  Some
>folks say the sidewall on the inside of the tire is stiffer.

The tread is directional, but the carcass is not.  Once the directional
tread has worn, you have a symmetrical tire.  We've had a set of Kumhos
right, left, inside, outside, etc., etc., etc.  They lost grip before
they wore completely out, but that was longer than I really want to admit
running them (uh, a season and a half with two drivers...)

mlc (not Eric, who likes to read but hates to type)
ex-'86 Shelby Charger on Kumho's
'91 MR2 NA on BFG's  (Priebe's making the smaller Kumho work on this car,
but if I could drive like him, well...)
'91 GMC Safari on Kumho's (not V700's)
'81 Ford F250 on hmm, can't remember